Tuesday, April 14, 2009

12x12 Fabric technique swap #17: Sharon Walworth. Rhode Island




From Sharon Walworth in Rhode Island, we have this beautifully stitched 12x12 quilt she calls Bonsai Square. Sharon refers to this piece as 'randomly constructed' on her label (click on above photo) but it looks very beautiful and structured to me! Sharon sent me an email to explain more how she created this lovely piece:
"I am hoping to embark on a series of journal quilts based around a theme of Mandalas, produced largely with batiks and hand dyes. This one was a sort of prototype, or first attempt, and I did learn a lot from it. My "safety net" was my reliance on machine embroidery. (I love Sharon's stitching!) I did take a few chances with fabric selections, and enjoyed playing with lumiere paints on a little lace scrap in the center of the piece.
In constructing my "leftovers" piece (see below), I included the rectangular scrap on which I experimented with stitch width, length, color, etc. (I think the leftover piece shows a little more freedom in my approach, eh?). Thanks for another great swap."
You are most welcome, Sharon! So glad to have you involved!
Here is the "leftover" piece Sharon made into a beautiful fabric postcard for me. Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Instructions: After clicking on the 'Enter Comment' box, "Comment as:" will appear. If you are logged into Google, your Google profile name should appear. If not, click the down arrow to choose 'Anonymous' - or your Name and your website URL if applicable. Type your comment into the space provided and click publish! Your comment will be sent to me to approve. ***You will not see your comment published immediately, as all comments are moderated. This helps to keep the blog spam-free.