Thursday, April 23, 2009

12x12 Fabric technique swap #32: Lenna Andrews, Connecticut




My 12x12 quilt is the very last one to come in by yesterday's deadline. I have been busy getting ready for our first Moving/Tag Sale this weekend, working some at Stonewall Kitchen and cleaning up the house & yard in order to put our home on the market -- we talk to our real estate agent on Saturday. Phew! All for a good cause . . . our plan is to sell this home and move near my parents in Bradenton, FL. My dad is doing well considering he has liver cancer (still in remission) but Steven & I feel that this is simply what we need to do and want to do right now.
Anyway -- my quiltie. It is actually pretty simple and a little restrained for me! I used fabrics in my stash: a wonderful 5x5 Moda piece from The fat Quarter Shop - the green piece with pink roses, and lots of lovely flower & leaf beads (and leaf pins) from Alpha Stamps - go here to see these and more. I especially love the Glass Leaf Charm Sets and the Pearlized Leaf Stick Pins, yum! The olive green back of this quiltie is a recycled chemise, yes - I saved it even though I was not wearing it anymore because I so loved the fabric. It felt wonderful to use it for this project and then happily throw away the rest! I did some simple rubber stamping of favorite sayings: Make Art, It's the little things, and Follow your heart. I used Fabrico/VersaCraft ink pads & heat set the ink.
The most unusual thing I did which came to me while I was creating this piece, was to recycle a dried flower, a beautiful yellow rose I had been saving. I used Tacky glue to attach it to the fabric and then protected it from breakage by coating it with gel medium. I just had this wild idea that this rose was what this piece needed!

Thanks to everyone who participated and I am sorry for those that had to drop out . . . life happens. There will be another time! This was a wonderful, amazing creative swap! Please vote for your favorite quilt in the sidebar of the blog . . . . even though this is a one for one swap, it will take me probably about a week to swap. I will keep you posted when it is completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instructions: After clicking on the 'Enter Comment' box, "Comment as:" will appear. If you are logged into Google, your Google profile name should appear. If not, click the down arrow to choose 'Anonymous' - or your Name and your website URL if applicable. Type your comment into the space provided and click publish! Your comment will be sent to me to approve. ***You will not see your comment published immediately, as all comments are moderated. This helps to keep the blog spam-free.