Wednesday, September 5, 2012

lenna young andrews -prayer flag swap!!

Did you know I participated in this swap too?
I made 3 flags for the swap and 3 extras to be hung in Florida with my swapped flags - I can't wait! Most of the flags were made while I was visiting Wolfe Island, Ontario -so I either sewed by hand or used glue, as I did not have my sewing machine with me . . . Below you can see 4 of the 6 flags on the table in the cottage that looks over the St Lawrence River!
The flag below was photographed at home in Florida, but created on Wolfe Island . . . with a prayer for a happy home.
The textile beads that hang from this flag are some real beauties by
Carolyn Saxby. I just love her beads!!

Another prayer flag I made in Canada with a wish for peace . . .
The stitching is drawn with a marker -this one was put together only with glue! 

The prayer flag below was hand-stitched and beaded. It uses a linen cocktail napkin (with the little fish) that was my Nonie's. The wish for 'energy' was clumsily hand embroidered by me, but I still like it!


You may recognize the 1st prayer flag I made below, used in my lesson for you. While I was in Canada I outlined the white stamping ink I used with a black sharpie for more definition. Balance.

'Tranquility' was made with vintage linen. After writing my prayer with a permanent marker, color was added with watercolor crayons and I sprayed water to release the color. When that was dry, I used an aerosol artwork sealer to provide some protection from the elements. 

Freedom!  I made this with a piece of fabric that I hand painted on the banks of the St Lawrence River in 2009. I brought it back with me in 2012 in case I wanted to work with it. I cut it to size but did not actually make this flag until i returned to Florida. I was so happy to have my sewing machine available that the first thing I did was add a decorative stitch across the top to make the sleeve. I noticed there was a slight sheen of gold in the fabric from a light wash of Lumiere paint and that caused me to add strips of gold fabric which I hope will sway in the breeze . . . . 
I left threads hanging on purpose and wrote my wish by hand with a gold marker.
That certainly was fun, they are addictive (so quick & easy) . . .
And I'd love to make more! Do you have a favorite of mine?

Swap note: I have gotten caught up with the incoming prayer flags, at least for now! All flags  received are uploaded on the swaps blog. If you sent from overseas I am keeping my fingers crossed because I know a couple of you are waiting to hear of swap package arrival. There are 9 mailing days left for packages to reach me. They due in my hands September 15th, so I hope to see them all. If you cannot make the deadline, please let me know.

The essence of all art is to have pleasure in giving pleasure.
  ~ Mikhail Baryshnikov



11 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous collection, Lenna. And I love the idea of you peacefully hand stitching while on the island. A lovely activity to do on holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all lovely Lenna, I think my favorites are Peace or Energy, I would not be able to pick a favorite, that is as close as I could get, lol. I love that you hand stitched them that make them more special. They really are fun to create and you can get as ornate or simple what ever you are feeling at the time. Beautiful job. Hugs Marilou

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flags are beautiful, Lenna! I finally got mine in the mail today. I'm enjoying seeing what everyone made!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely... I esp. like the use of the vintage linen pieces in the flags. What a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely peaceful work Lenna
    Have a super day ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous Flags, Leena. They will look beautiful flying - putting their message out there. xoDonna

    ReplyDelete
  7. And to think - some of those flags are Made in Canada LOL! They are all gorgeous just like all the others coming in Lenna! J

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of your flags are gorgeous Lenna, but Energy is my favorite! It speaks to me! You have always inspired me beyond words, and still do.
    I am still working and hoping to get mine out by Monday...fingers crossed that I will be headache free...so far so good!
    Hugs to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terrific flags, Lenna! My favorite? would be Happy Home or Peace with Freedom as a close contender. I plan to get my flags in the mail on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of these flags are gorgeous, Lenna - they are all so different. I think you'll understand why I like 'clumsy' hand embroidery so much.....!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful flags Lenna..they are all so different and creative, my fave would be the birdy one :) x

    ReplyDelete

Instructions: After clicking on the 'Enter Comment' box, "Comment as:" will appear. If you are logged into Google, your Google profile name should appear. If not, click the down arrow to choose 'Anonymous' - or your Name and your website URL if applicable. Type your comment into the space provided and click publish! Your comment will be sent to me to approve. ***You will not see your comment published immediately, as all comments are moderated. This helps to keep the blog spam-free.